Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, January 27, 2013

US 41 and Hopkinsville, Kentucky

Before the end of an overcast January 15th, I got a motel room then went back out for a short drive around Hopkinsville, Kentucky. I would have liked to have had more time there. It seemed like an interesting place to take photos.

Edgar Cayce, the "Sleeping Prophet," spent some of his early years in Hopkinsville and it was where his gift was first discovered. He's buried in Riverside Cemetery in Hopkinsville.




L & N Railroad Depot

DSCF2440a

Built in 1892, this was the L & N Railroad Depot at 425 E. 9th Street. Because it was the only legal spot to drink alcohol between Evansville, Indiana and Nashville, Hopkinsville got the nickname "Hoptown" because train passengers wanted to know if it was ok to "hop off" and get a quick drink.

DSCF2441a




A wall in the center of town.
DSCF2442a


Across the street is the vacant Gold Gallery.
DSCF2445a





Ferrell's Hamburgers

DSCF2450a

As I drove through Hopkinsville, trying to stay on US 41, I saw this sign for Ferrell's Hamburgers and it was the main reason I wanted to stop and take some photos. In the photo above, as I have it cropped, Ferrell's is not much bigger than that one room. I wish I had time for a burger but it was late in the day and I had more photos to take.

DSCF2451a




Not sure if this was a single family home, a group home, a building turned into apartments, I just don't know, but it was a nice looking, old building.
DSCF2454a


Across the street was this shotgun home owned by someone who was into local politics.
DSCF2456a


An antique stop on US 41.
DSCF2462a


All afternoon there were radio reports of a sleet, freezing rain, and snow storm coming to western Kentucky and Tennessee and that's just where I was. So I went to sleep that night not knowing how much road I would be able to drive the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...